Have you ever encountered an aroma like Peppermint or Grapefruit that seemed to wake up your senses and focus your mind? Citrus fruits often have invigorating, awakening properties that are good for using in the morning if you need to wake up, rather than reaching for a sugar-packed, cream-filled, unhealthy cup of coffee.
On the other side of the sleep equation, there are essential oils which promote healthy sleep patterns. They naturally cause a response by your brain that leads to the release of chemicals that make you fall to sleep quicker, and stay asleep during the night. Start using the following essential oils if you suffer from unhealthy sleep patterns and habits.
How to use essential oils for sleep
Essential oils can be used both topically and through inhalation to improve the quality of sleep.
- The easiest way to receive the benefits of essential oils is through diffusing them. We have a few cute diffusers that came with our Premium Starter Kit from Young Living. We also love THIS home diffuser. It disperses the essential oils molecules into the air and allows you to inhale them. The molecules of the essential oils are so small that they easily enter the olfactory nerves inside of your nose and into the limbic system, which is the seat of emotions in the body. Diffuse oils 30-60 minutes prior to bedtime.
- If you do not have a diffuser, you can place a drop or 2 of essential oil in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, cup them around your nose and inhale deeply. Do this for several minutes.
- You can also rub 1-2 drops of essential oils on the bottoms of your feet, shoulders, back of your neck or stomach. We often use a bit of carrier oil like coconut or jojoba to help it spread.
- Mix 3-6 drops of essential oil with epsom salt or baking soda and add to a hot bath water while tub is filling. Soak in bath for 20-30 minutes.
- Rub 1-2 drops on the temples and back of neck several times a day.
- Place a warm compress with 1-2 drops of chosen oil on the back.
A word about quality
Please note that we are only talking about 100% pure, therapeutic grade essential oils. Did you know that only about 2% of essential oils sold are considered therapeutic grade? There is no standard for essential oils and so many of the oils you find may be adulterated and can actually contain harmful ingredients. Check out this post for more info!
Our essential oil of choice is Young Living Essential Oils. They own and operate their farms and they run a very tight supply chain. We trust their essential oils above all others because they are pure and unadulterated and are manufactured for therapeutic use not just for smell. You can read more about Young Living’s Seed to Seal promise here.
We are a wholesale member, meaning that we also save 24% on all of our products, including essential oils. Read more here about why we choose Young Living.
10 Must-Have Oils for Sleep
Calming to the nervous system and helps with restlessness
Balances the nervous system and helps strengthen the body and mind; increases feelings of strength, courage, and self-esteem; Can also be useful for snoring.
Can help relaxes the nervous system and helps with overstimulation
4. Roman Chamomile:
Your grandmother and great-grandmother may have used Roman chamomile essential oil for calming excited children. It has a warm, sweet, herbaceous scent that is relaxing and calming for both mind and body. Its gentleness makes it especially valuable for restless children.
Since the beginning of ancient Indian ayurvedic and Chinese medicinal practices, lavender has proven one of the most versatile brain and body health-boosters.very calming and can be good for anxious feelings
6. Peace and Calming:
Promotes relaxation and a deep sense of peace and emotional well-being: helps release negative emotions: wonderful for children
Relaxing and soothing; allows the brain to stop processing. It also promotes pineal gland health, which is important for the production of melatonin, a chemical known as the sleep hormone.
8. Stress Away:
Brings feelings of peace and tranquility; helps to relive daily stress and anxious feelings; promotes relaxation; restores equilibrium
Lifts the spirit while providing a calming influence on the body; brings peace and happiness to the mind. It is rich in the powerful antioxidant d-limonene and aids in maintaining normal cellular regeneration.
SleepyIze is a prediluted blend that can help calm the mind and body prior to your little one’s bedtime. Add a couple drops into the diffuser twenty minutes prior to bedtime for a peaceful aromatic environment. A little goes a long way with Young Living’s essential oils. You don’t need to use much which makes the bottles last that much longer.
Frankincense, Tranquil, Rutavala, White Angelica, & Dream Catcher
What are your must-have essential oil favorites for your best nights sleep? We hope you have found this post to be useful and educational! Here’s to wishing you the dreamiest sleep of your life! Happy oiling, babes!