Our family LOVES essential oils, and so many of you have sent me questions on how they work or how you can work them into your routine. We use essential oils for just about EVERYTHING — from immune support, to cooling down body temperature, ear discomfort, emotional support, sinus discomfort and my favorite—sleep support, just to name a few. Essential oils are our saving grace.
Did you know? The average woman applies 80 chemicals to her body before breakfast daily through 4 types of products: makeup, hair care, skincare, and soap… and then we wonder why our lives are taxed and we are tired and have hormonal issues. It’s the YUCK in our lives! We are in constant chemical exhaustion people.
While, it’s definitely easier said than done when it comes to shopping & swapping out safe products and alternatives for use in our daily lives, it can be done. I wanted to share how we use our oils every single day and why we love them, in hopes to show you how easy it is to incorporate these little bottles of magic.
1. For a better night’s sleep. There is a reason that every baby product on the planet contains lavender. There are SO many oils that can be worked into a bedtime routine to encourage a healthy nights sleep, find the right blend for you & start diffusing 20 minutes before going to bed. Your room will become a perfect environment for a good nights sleep. Some of our favorites are Lavender, Frankincense, Cedarwood and Vetiver. Our overall wellness depends so much on how much sleep we get, it is so important for our bodies & minds to recover & recharge. We also love whipping up a simple linen spray, to spritz on our pillows, blankets and lovies before calling it a night. You can find more of our favorite essential oils for sleep here.
2. For healthy, glowing skin. We have tossed out all the expensive face lotions, serums, creams & moisturizers. I now use a few drops of jojoba oil with a drop of Frankincense as my moisturizer. It supports healthy, glowing skin without all the added chemicals, plus is also an incredibly grounding, calming oil, which means it doubles as amazing to apply to your skin right before going to sleep! I also love to roll Lavender under my eyes, apply Copiaba or Tea Tree to blemishes & use grapefruit with coconut oil + shea butter as a full body moisturizer.
Not to mention, Young Living’s clean, toxin-free makeup with a wholesale discount, used in combination with essential oils to make your skin look and feel better than ever? 🌿 Yes, please. Check out Savvy Minerals here.
You can find more of our favorite beauty tips & tricks here.
Ps. Last summer, during water day months at daycare, my littlest one contracted a virus commonly known as water warts. Upon reading, there were no known remedies to heal this, but time. After neatly applying Tea Tree to the affected area, within 24hrs, the spots were gone. Talk about an incredible testimony!
3. For immune support. One of the main reasons we started using oils was for immune support. If you have toddlers (especially ones in daycare, preschool, etc.) you know how it feels week after week, when everyone is run down & passing around cold after cold. Adding oils consistently to our daily routine has been life changing, every mom needs this. You can find more of on essential oils for overall health and wellness here.
4. To make our home smell amazing. I’m not sure I will ever give up pretty candles as decor, but after reading how toxic they really are to burn, we turn to diffusing oils instead. The best part? They have added benefits! So while Grapefruit + Orange + Idaho Blue Spruce + Geranium in the diffuser smells amazing (like an Anthro store!), it is also uplifting & mood-boosting! Blends like Lavender + Stress Away (vanilla-lime) smell heavenly, especially when diffused at bed time, and will help you wind down in the evening and sleep better than you have in years! #truestory
5. For chemical-free cleaning. I hate traditional cleaning supplies— the smells are always so overpowering & they are a hazard to keep under your sink or around your kids. Scented, petroleum-based laundry detergents contain high levels of VOC’s. These hazardous chemicals are linked to asthma and skin cancer. They add to indoor air pollution and are absorbed through your skin which can create a host of problems!
The Young Living line of cleaning products, specifically Thieves Cleaner, is 100% effective, all natural, and safe around kids. I feel safe to wipe down chairs or play tables with it, knowing my children will be just fine if they eat off it immediately after. There are hundreds of ways to use oils themselves for cleaning as well, like using Lemon to remove sticky residue, or Lemon + Thieves with some baking soda to make an amazing soft scrub to get stains out of sinks, pans, etc. Good stuff, folks! You can find more on our favorite home & cleaning hacks here.
6. For emotional support + balanced moods.The science behind it is simple. Essential oils are extracted from plants by distillation, and have the essential aromatic & chemical properties of that plant, they are made up of tiny molecules that are very easily absorbed by our bodies. When you inhale an essential oil, receptor cells of the olfactory organ receive the aroma, and send signals to the brain which is the center of our emotions & memory. This controls our blood pressure, breathing, hormone balance, heart rate & so much more. So simply inhaling certain oils, or applying oils to your wrists or behind your ears, can be extremely calming, uplifting & grounding. One of my favorite blends we like to call Happy Mama (made up of Orange, Peace & Calming, Joy & Ylang Ylang) is one we love for any emotionally draining time, perhaps every day during witching hour or on every road trip with kids, and is amazing for things like post-partum emotions.
7. For all the best DIYs. Rollers, lash serum, grapefruit lip scrub, bath salt, after sun spray, hair detangler, muscle cream, vapor chest rub, bug spray, you name it, there’s an oil for that! It never fails that on any given day, I am googling things & find an oily solution. Dry skin? Done. Ants in your house? Done. It is an amazing feeling to know there are safe, natural (and easy!) alternatives in solving day-to-day problems, just like grandma! 😉<
8. For cooking & flavor benefits. Young Living essential oils are all 100% therapeutic grade, and the vitality line of oils can be used to naturally flavor food & drinks! We love a drop of peppermint in my morning coffee, lime or grapefruit in sparkling water and basil or rosemary in olive oil when cooking! One drop of Lemon in your water each morning acts as a powerful antioxidant + stimulates metabolism, without the acidity that can upset a sensitive stomach or damage your enamel on your teeth. Incredible, right?!
We hope you find this helpful, especially for anyone who isn’t sure how to use their oils or for those of you considering getting started! As always, you can find more information on how to get started using oils for your family here, or you can follow along on my Grits & Grace feed for lots of oily goodness! You can also check out our favorite Premium Starter Kit diffuser blends here!
So, I want to hear your feedback! Do you use oils? If so, what are your favorite ways to use them? A drop of lavender in your wild kids bath water at night? Me too. 😉
Happy oiling, babes!