Go ahead, take a peek at the ingredients in conventional cleaning supplies. Are those ingredients ones you would feel comfortable breathing in or ingesting? Of course not. Chemicals sneak into our homes (and bodies) in various ways, whether it’s from using a plug-in air freshener, commercial cleaning product, wax-based candle or even the chemicals in our paint, flooring and furniture.
This week, the EPA has a new report that says that formaldehyde causes leukemia.
Let that sink in for a minute. If that doesn’t make you want to scream, then you aren’t actually letting that fact absorb in. Formaldehyde is in SO many things. Here is just a few things that commonly can contain it: baby wipes, lotions, shampoos, sunblock. soap bars, cosmetics, body wash, toothpaste, baby wipes, bubble bath and so much more!
Why is this important? Because formaldehyde is in everyday products you are probably using or are exposed to. Long-term exposure is known to cause leukemia and nose and throat cancer. We are slathering ourselves with toxins. We are eating toxins. We are breathing toxins. The baby wash, the dish soap, the cleaning supplies, the candles. And we wonder why the cancer rate is now 1:2. A very wise doctor told us that your long term health and longevity was 1/3 genetics, 1/3 luck, and 1/3 what you do every day (products you use, food you eat, and exercise). Are you making the most of your 1/3?
Reports show that the very same products that promise us the fountain of youth is actually damaging our health and causing us to age even faster. The average woman puts on about 515 different synthetic chemicals on her body per day. These same chemicals are causing illness such as as leukemia, birth defects and yes, even CANCER! When will enough truly be enough? When will you put your foot down and make the change? It will be too late when someone you love is diagnosed with an irreversible sickness or disease.
If you haven’t downloaded the Think Dirty app or the EWG app (both are free) & started looking into the products you buy + use daily, PLEASE do. You’d be surprised what toxic chemicals lurk in your baby lotions, cleaning supplies, makeup and even your HOME!
For the first time ever our children are forecasted to have a shorter lifespan than we do. But we can fight back. You deserve better, your littles deserve better—lets link arms + make the change. Mamas, YOU are gatekeeper of your home. YOU decide what comes in. We went toxin-free baby step x baby step. It’s not hard and it’s not painful (pinky promise!*). We’re happy to walk you through it. Let’s take back our 1/3.
One of the reasons we first put off getting started with oils was because we didn’t have a super “clean” lifestyle. We don’t eat all organic food or work out every day, we don’t cloth diaper our kids or make our own natural deodorant. But what we finally learned that once we finally got the hang of things, is that it isn’t all or nothing. It is small steps every day, replacing one thing at a time that leads to the big picture. Since using essential oils, we have learned a lot more about the chemicals in the every day products we use, and have replaced most of our lifestyle products (laundry soap, dish soap, bug spray, sunscreen, makeup, etc.) with clean, good-for-you options from Young Living, and we SEE a difference. And it’s easier than you think!
There’s so much in the environment we can’t control; however, what we bring into our homes is something we can — so here’s a few tips for ditching the chemicals and sw
itching to natural products for your health and home!
- Put down the air freshener. You don’t need to spray chemicals to freshen the air; simply add a few plants. Plants absorb the bad stuff and create good, clean air for you to breathe. It’s recommended you have two plants for every 100 square feet of space in your home.
- Speaking of clean scents, unplug the unhealthy, chemical-based air fresheners + candles and plug IN a diffuser filled with water + pure essential oils instead. Scent as nature intended it, with no harmful side effects!
- Download the Think Dirty or EWG app and scan your every products. Nothing can make you feel more icky than scanning the products within your home on the Think Dirty app, only to discover that they have the worst ratings out there. Seriously, it’s a game changer when you scan your shampoo and you see right there that it DOES cause cancer, reproductive issues and more.
- Read your labels! Don’t just be a sucker for anything that says “natural” on it. Anything can be labeled natural because there’s no FDA standards for that. You have to actually flip the bottle over and read the label. Look for minimal ingredients, plant based ingredients and words you can pronounce. If you don’t recognize a word, Google it or scan the item on your Think Dirty app. If you don’t like what you see, toss it!
- Make your own chemical-free cleaners! Creating your own cleaning products is as easy as stopping by the grocery store. You’ll save money, AND the ingredients aren’t nearly as harmful as their chemical counterparts. Here’s a few favorite ideas:
- Use a drop of Lemon or Purification to freshen up garbage disposals.
- Mix baking soda + Thieves Cleaner to clean dirty grout.
- Using wool balls + adding a drop of Kunzea or Purification makes a great replacement for fabric softener sheets.
- Lemon will get rid of sticky residue in seconds flat.
Ditching the chemicals and switching to natural products doesn’t have to be painful or expensive. Start with one step at a time; make it a goal to try one new natural way a month using Essential Rewards (Plus, you earn FREE products + points for FREE products later, too), and at the end of the year, you’ll have taken giant steps towards a healthier, less toxic home!
Check out our 61 uses for Thieves Household Cleaner. We have also put together a shopping list for you babes, so that you can make a list of your current everyday products and how to swap them out with our toxic-free, all natural Young Living products: Household List + Young Living List
Lets vote with our dollars. Stop buying the stuff that they have had us brainwashed for too long thinking its safe. Buy stuff that you KNOW the ingredients are safe. For you. For your babies.
Let’s chat, babe! There’s no better day than today to get started, babe.