The earthy, complex nature of Patchouli makes it easy to rave about. Whether we’re using it on its own or in some of our favorite blends such as DiGize + Peace & Calming, Patchouli is versatile in its uses and benefits. Its musky scent makes it popular for use in soaps and perfumes, either used as a distinctive aroma on its own or to blend with other complementary scents.
Free spirits have been drawn to Patchouli’s unique aroma for a long time. If you know anyone from the Woodstock era, see if the scent brings back any fond memories, or if you know anyone from the Napoleonic era, see if they recall it fondly from their favorite perfumes. (Just kidding. If you know anyone from the Napoleonic era, they’re probably ghosts.)
There’s plenty more to know about Patchouli and its uses. These fun facts will give you all the Patchouli prowess you need!
A few of our favorites uses are:
- Patchouli has a grounding and balancing effect on emotions. To obtain the mood-harmonizing properties, apply 1 to 2 drops to your neck or temples or place 3 to 4 drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Make it part of your daily facial routine. For a smooth and glowing complexion, apply 1 to 2 drops of Patchouli to your face. You will love the results!
- For a simple and effective oral cleanse, adding Patchouli + Peppermint to a DIY mouth rinse. Combining two powerful oils from the mint family, this rinse will give your mouth a rejuvenating cleanse that will leave your breath with a fresh, clean feeling. Peppermint is commonly used for its abilities to freshen breath and will also give your mouth a minty taste. The Patchouli essential oil works hand-in-hand with the minty flavor of the Peppermint and will aid in deodorizing and freshening the mouth.
- Long hair definitely has its perks, but tangles are not one of them. Often, detangling wet hair can be time consuming and can even get a little painful. Make that tangled mess of hair a thing of the past by making a simply DIY Hair Detangler.
- Leave the stress of the day behind you by enjoying the grounding and energizing properties of Patchouli + Peppermint. After a long day of work, combine Patchouli + Peppermint and apply this blend to your forehead, temples, or to the back of the neck. Patchouli will help provide a grounding and stabilizing effect on emotions while the Peppermint will work to relieve feelings of tension.
- Patchouli is great for skincare and can be used frequently to enhance the appearance of skin. To best receive the skin benefits of Patchouli, add a few drops of Patchouli to your daily moisturizer or apply one to two drops of Patchouli directly to your skin. Using Patchouli will help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, blemishes, or problem skin areas.
- Feeling a little frazzled? When your emotions start to overwhelm you, combine Patchouli + Vetiver and apply the blend to the bottoms of your feet. The emotionally grounding and balancing properties of Patchouli + Vetiver will help calm emotions.
- Patchouli has frequently been used in the perfume and cologne industries for its musky aroma. For a sweet musk cologne, in a glass spray bottle or roller combine: 10 drops Patchouli + 15 drops Lime + 13 drops Fennel. Fill the rest of the way up with FCO. Patchouli can also be used to create a musky perfume and is easily transformed into a sweet-smelling aroma when combined with floral essential oils.
Now that you’re full of Patchouli power, try it with some of our other unique oils!
Which Patchouli fact interested you the most? Tell us about it in the comments